Spiced opens up the world of possibility hidden in your pantry.
Discover how to use spices to amp up the flavor of your food and get foolproof recipes that put these simple techniques to work. Sprinkle a finishing salt you make from sea salt and herbs onto seared white fish fillets to make them special. Make a different roast chicken every week by applying a different rub. Learn the best spices to use in curries—and when to add them for fragrant (not dusty) results. Add flavor—and texture—with homemade blends (you'll eat your spinach when it's topped with pistachio dukkah). Infuse condiments with spices (try chipotle ketchup on a burger). And flavor baked goods and desserts with saffron, cardamom, dried lavender, or rose rather than just cinnamon.
Each chapter shares a core technique for cooking with spices:
Most spice books are simply encyclopedias. Rather than break up the book by region or spice, we empower home cooks to use spices every day by teaching an approachable technique—such as blooming and toasting spices, finishing foods with flair, steeping spices in condiments, and blending and infusing spices into common baking ingredients—in each chapter, followed by recipes that put it to use.
Become a spice blender (and still shop at the supermarket):
Each chapter offers a few key blends or other homemade ingredients that will instantly improve your cooking, whether you use them in the recipes that follow or branch off on your own. Mix up a superfragrant curry powder or infuse a chili-spiced oil for drizzling on just about anything.
One recipe—spiced four ways:
To show just how easy it is to take a dish in a completely new flavor direction by using a spice blend, we've created a set of master recipes and offered three flavor directions for each.
- • Pan-Seared Flank Steak with Sage-Shallot Compound Butter
- • Green Peppercorn–Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Sun-Dried Tomato Hollandaise Sauce
- • Crispy Pan-Fried Chicken Cutlets with Garlic-Curry Sauce
- • Thick-Cut Pork Chops with Smoked Salt
- • Pan-Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Cider-Caraway Vinaigrette
- • Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Sichuan Chili Oil and Napa Cabbage Slaw
- • Salt-Baked Whole Branzino
- • Blackened Snapper with Rémoulade
- • Spice-Rubbed Roast Chicken, 4 Ways
- • Lamb Vindaloo
- • Smoky Shishito Peppers with Espelette and Lime
- • Sauteed Spinach with Yogurt and Pistachio Dukkah
- • Wasabi Tuna Salad
- • Parmesan–Black Pepper Popcorn
- • Seared Scallops with Mango Chutney and Mint
- • Pink-Peppercorn–Pomegranate Panna Cotta
- • Everything Bagel Bread
- • Ginger-Turmeric Frozen Yogurt